Upgrade to SCOM 2012 R2: Unable to proceed


The upgrade time has truly come!


During an upgrade at a costumer site I got the following error when trying to upgrade the secondary management server:


Unable to Proceed

Setup could not detect the current Data Warehouse Scenario. Please ensure that the SQL Server service for the Data Warehouse is running, and the current user has permission to access the Data Warehouse.




I checked the services and I had already upgraded the RMS emulator server so i was sure it wasn’t a permission issue.


Time to dig a little deeper…


I start by firing up the SMS Trace to view the OpsMgrSetupWizard.log (located in %LocalAppData%\SCOM\Logs). Even a good old fashioned pirate with one eye would see the red lines:




The obvious error here is: “Error: DW DB name is null or empty”. The first place that came to my mind here was the registry, so I checked HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Operations Manager\3.0\Setup where this stuff is listed.


And sure enough! The DataWarehouseDBName and DataWarehouseDBServerName were both empty:




Pretty fixable – I simply put in the database and server name:




I crank up the installer again and this time SCOM isn’t complaining:




Happy upgrading to SCOM 2012 R2 – see you on the bright side

By | 2013-11-07T11:05:07+00:00 November 7th, 2013|Operations Manager (SCOM)|5 Comments

About the Author:

Michael Skov
Yet another guy loving the System Center products. My primary focus is on Operations Manager, which i have worked with for some years now - still loving it.Certifications:Microsoft Certified Solution Expert Private Cloud (MCSE)Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate Windows Server 2008 (MCSA)Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist Windows Server 2008 R2, Server Virtualization


  1. adelaide hills b&b May 8, 2014 at 20:36 - Reply

    adelaide hills b…

    Coretech Blog » Blog Archive » Upgrade to SCOM 2012 R2: Unable to proceed

  2. dog day care adelaide September 8, 2014 at 8:16 - Reply

    dog day care adelaide

    Coretech Blog » Blog Archive » Upgrade to SCOM 2012 R2: Unable to proceed

  3. Kiki April 20, 2015 at 14:51 - Reply


  4. LvilleSystemsJockey February 2, 2016 at 18:47 - Reply

    Perfect, saved me lots of time!

  5. TorATB February 8, 2017 at 10:40 - Reply

    Thank you very much!

Leave A Comment