Weehau – we got the new version of SCOM – and many companies are already thinking about the upgrade, when how and why? – First the last – A couple of new features are available like:
- Maintenance from the SCOM Agent
- Scheduled Maintenance Mode
- Agent for Nano Server
- New Agent for Linus/UNIX – Faster more robust and able to run shell scripts by itself
- LAMP Stack monitoring on Linux
- Good performance in mornitoring Network Devices
- Storage Spaces monitoring by Microsoft Native MP
- MP Tuning, Updates and Recommended MP in the Console
- A MP for AWS which are able to check your Linux and Windows running in AWS, as well as EC2, EBS, ELB Cloudformation Stacks and Auto Scaling Groups.
- So look into your AWS as you are using Azure MP for keeping an eye on your Azure.
- Maintenance mode – which could be scheduled and targeted to your groups or objects. (will it work in UR1 = YES)
- New Web Console (HTML5) – Now after 15 years of SCOM we have a Web console which are able to startup faster than ordering and eating a Pizza.
Before you do the upgrade please check the following:
- Install Account must be a member of the local administrators group on both the:
- – SQL Server (both cluster or always-on scenarios)
- – Management Servers
- – Reporting Servers
- Install Account must be a member of the Sysadmin role on the SQL Server
- On the SQL Server the Modal Database must not be more than 100 MB
- The OperationsManager database must have 50% free space
- The OperationsManager database must be able to extend in size – not fixed
- The Action and the SDKConfig accounts needs to be members of the local administrators group on all of The Management Servers.
- Collation on SQL: SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
- SQL Server Agent must be running and “automatic” startup
- Upgrade from a CMD running in a uplifted administrator context
- Be 110% sure the Service Broker is enabled and running for the SQL server
- Upgrade your SCOM 2012 R2 to at least UR9
- Download and install the Upgrade Helper MP for SCOM 2012 R2 to 2016
- Upgrade a Management Server to 2016
- Upgrade your Agents to 2016
- Upgrade the RMS to SCOM 2016
- Does it work = Yes – Continue, No = Stop and restore.
- Upgrade your SQL to 2014 = Fast!!! , 2016 when official supported
- Wait >1 hour before upgrading to SCOM 2016 UR1
- Get a beer and enjoy life…..
Remember to participate on some of the SCOM training – we are covering 2016 now.
Excellent.. Able to understand the flow of procedure