Welcome to the Coretech x-mas blog Calendar where we will give you a little insiders tip every single day in December.
Even if I don’t deploy 3rd party updates with SCUP 2011 I still use the tool for two purposes.
- I always upgrade my ConfigMgr clients and consoles to the latest CU using the built-in cab files. This allow me to use my existing software updates collections and I don’t have to worry about specific platforms since the detection rules in SCUP will take care of that. You can find the cab files on the site server in %Program Files%\Microsoft Configuration Manager\hotfix\%hotfix%\SCUP.
- Another reason why I love SCUP is the fact that I can easily expire updates released by any 3rd party patch management tool like Secunia CSI and SCUP.
Expire existing 3rd party updates using SCUP
- Start SCUP as Administrator
- rom the Options menu, select Advanced
- Start the Software Update Cleanup Wizard
- Select the updates that you want to expire and finish the wizard
- Perform a software update synchronization in ConfigMgr and monitor the wsycmgr.log file. You’ll notice that expired updates are now removed from ConfigMgr.