Using Software Update Management in Config Mgr. can be a very powerful way to control the patch management process. In this post I explain the basic components that you need to know about before deploying any updates.
- The update list contains all my approved security updates for any given month
- The update list is used in reports
- The update list can be used to delegate administrative permissions. I can have one update list for server updates that is controlled by our "server guys" and one Update list containing workstation updates.
- The template contains a target collection
- The template controls the restart settings
- The template controls the visibility of the installation
- Local time VS UTC time
- This is the advertisement
- It’s the product of combining the Update List with a deployment template
- Controls whether the updates a to be installed automatic with a deadline data/time or manually
- A folder on the server wher Config Mgr. downloads the software update binaries
- Will be used as the package source when replicating the updates to distribution points.