One question that is seen again and again in the news forums is “how to configure a custom message prior to running a software package”? In this post you can download a utility developed with help from Jakob G. Svendsen that can be used to customize a message that is shown prior to running the real software package.
The utility – WarnBeforeInstall – is installed on each client. When you want to show a custom message you just call the program with a few parameters. The parameters control the title, the message and the countdown value. When the user clicks OK (or the countdown reaches 0) the program will finish with a success code and the parent software program will then automatically kick off.
The logo in the box can be replaced just place a custom banner.jpg file in the program folder.
JGS - 04/01/2011 - New version out 1.0.3:
How it works
- First you create and deploy the WarnBeforeInstall utility to all clients. You cen deploy the package silently without any user intervention.
- Create a new empty software package - I call it Coretech Warn Before Install messages
- Create a program in the package for each unique message you want to show. I have create a generic program and programs for each major deployment where specific messages are required.
- The command line is AutoInstallWarning.exe ”Dialog title” ”Message to the end user” 300 (counter in seconds)
- Example AutoInstallWarning.exe ”Internal IT Message” ”Internal IT is installing software on your computer. Click OK to begin the installation of Microsoft Office 2007” 300
- Specify the program to Start in: %programfiles%\Coretech\AutoInstallWarning\
- Specify the program to suppress program notification (otherwise the Config Mgr. balloon will be shown prior to running our warning.
- On the Environment tab Specify the program to run whether or not a user i logged on and allow the user to interact with this program
- Configure a custom message to be shown prior to installing a software package for example Microsoft Office 2007
- Open the properties for the Office program used to install Office 2007.
- navigate to the Advanced tab
- Select Run another program first
- Select the Coretech Warn Before Install package
- Select the program for example Warn Before Office 2007
- Select Always run this program first
- Select suppress program notification