Highly inspired by this blog post I started to do me own prestage content testing. Prestaging has long been one of the main reasons (along with bandwidth control) for implementing a secondary site in Configuration Manager 2007. In configuration Manager 2012 both features has now been added to the distribution point. This more or less eliminates the need for a secondary site.
Prestaging is a process that involves the distribution point, the package and a Commandline tool.
- Open the Distribution Point properties and select Enable this distribution point for prestaged content on the General tab.
- Now, navigate to the Software Library workspace, select the package you want to prestage and click Create Prestage Content File on the Ribbon. In this example I’m prestaging the boot image.
- Save the .pkgx file to a media and copy it to the remote distribution point. In my example I have copied the package to C:\Tools on the remote DP.
- On the remote DP open a command prompt
- To validate the content of the compressed type (where SCCM4 the server where I have the CM2012 binaries):
\\sccm4\e$\Labfiles\Install\CM2012Beta2\TOOLS\ExtractContent.exe /P:C:\Tools\x86boot.pkgx /C
- To validate the content and show some application metadata type:
\\sccm4\e$\Labfiles\Install\CM2012Beta2\TOOLS\ExtractContent.exe /P:C:\Tools\x86boot.pkgx /C /I
notice the information about the logfile - C:\SMS_DP$\sms\logs\PrestageContent.log. It contains detailed information about the process.
- Finally to Extract the file type:
- If you monitor the C:\SMS_DP$\sms\logs\PrestageContent.log you’ll see that file is being extracted and placed in the new content library.
- Status information will be send back to the site server thus updating the information in the database.
- Back in the configuration Manager console, navigate to the Software Library and deploy the package content to the remote distribution point.
- You can monitor the distribution process by reading the pkgXferMgr.log on the site server.
- Finally you should be able to monitor the status in the Monitoring workspace, select Distribution Status, Content status.