Installing System Center Orchestrator 2012 Beta on a previous Opalis 6.3 server

 

(skip to the last part of this article for the quick and easy fix!, without all the background history, and no fun!).

 

I woke up this Saturday, very exited since I knew that the System Center Orchestrator 2012 Beta files was available!

and of cause I wanted to install it in my test environment.

 

Lazy as I am, I did a clone of the Opalis server that I already had deployed. This server has all the necessary components and consoles for all the IPs installed.

I renamed the server and uninstalled all Opalis MSI’s.

but when I started the setup, I got this message, saying that Opalis 6.3 is currently installed:

image

but it wasn’t!

I tied several fixes:

  1. Deleting all opalis folder on the harddrive
  2. Searching registry for Windows Installer entries about opalis.
  3. Checked to see if opalis users still existed.

Nothing helped!

I really wanted to know , how it detects the installation.

I could have asked in TechNet, or in the CEP site, but that’s no fun! and I would have had to wait for an answer.

So I went to the good old Sysinternals site and downloaded the utility called "Process Monitor”.

Get it here

Use the following technique to monitor a process

  1. Start the System Center Orchestrator Setup
  2. Start Process Monitor (Procmon.exe)
  3. Set the filter
    image
  4. Only include entries , which contains the Process Name of “setupsco.exe
    image
  5. Clear the display.
    image
  6. Now switch to the setup and click install, to make the installer detect Opalis 6.3 and show the error message.
  7. Switch back top Process Monitor, and stop the capture.
    image
  8. Now you will have a long list of registry access entries, file access entries an so on.
  9. Read through the entries and look for registry read’s that is successful. Other applications might use other techniques though.

I found some in the end:

image

as you can see it tried to read a registry key, that is in the Install key, looking for a Product ID. So I opened the key (usually you can right click and select “Jump to..” but this didn’t work in my case for some reason.

image

Wow! It is an Opalis Foundation Object Install registry key!

Somehow my search I did earlier , couldn’t find it in the registry, but it is there!

So I removed it by deleted the main Install Key for this product as seen blow

image

and it worked! System Center Orchestrator 2012 Beta is now installing!

The Easy Fix (but no fun!)

  1. Open regedit.exe
  2. go to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\<User-ID>\Products
  3. Delete the key called “12155D6CE72B8F9340AD0BA962E373F6
  4. Restart installation.
By | 2011-06-20T11:15:54+00:00 June 20th, 2011|Automation|3 Comments

About the Author:

Jakob Gottlieb Svendsen

Twitter: @JakobGSvendsen

Jakob Gottlieb Svendsen is a Microsoft Cloud and Data Center Management MVP (http://mvp.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx), Working as Global Lead Developer, Senior Consultant and Trainer at CTGlobal, where he is one of the driving forces in keeping CTGlobal a System Center Gold Partner and member of the System Center Alliance.

Since he started at Coretech in 2007, he has focused on Scripting and Development, primarily developing tools, extensions and scripts for the System Center Suite. His main area is Automation (including OMS/Azure Automation, Service Management Automation, PowerShell and Orchestrator). Another area is Windows Azure Pack / Azure Stack, where he does implementation, development, workshops and presentations. He is a world-wide renowned voice in the Automation field.

He is passionately devoted to the community, to which he contributes by being a moderator at TechNet and sharing his knowledge at http://blog.ctglobalservices.com/jgs

  • Co-founder: PowerShell User Group Denmark
  • Speaker at MMS 2016, Minneapolis (www.mmsmoa.com)
  • SCU Europe 2014, 2015, 2016 (www.systemcenteruniverse.ch)
  • Microsoft TechEd North America 2014, Houston
  • NIC 2012,2013,2014,2015, Oslo (www.nic.com)
  • Microsoft CampusDays 2011, 2013, Copenhagen
  • Microsoft TechDays 2015, Sweden (www.techdays.se)
  • Microsoft Partner Event: New in SC2012 SP1
  • User group meetings (PSUG.DK , SCUG.DK/BE/NO, AZMUG + more)
  • Microsoft Certified Trainer.
  • Microsoft Scripting Guys Forum Moderator

Main working areas:

  • Automation (Azure Automation, SMA, SCO)
  • Windows Azure Pack / Azure Stack
  • System CenterVisual Studio Team Services / Team Foundation Server
  • Development:C#.Net, VB.NET, VBScript, PowerShell, Service Manager, OpsMgr, ConfigMgr
  • Orchestrator
  • Windows Azure Pack / Azure Stack

Training:

  • Azure Automation
  • Service Management Automation
  • System Center Orchestrator
  • PowerShell, VBScript, C#.Net, VB.Net
  • Windows Azure Pack / Azure Stack Development Workshops

3 Comments

  1. Dylan November 15, 2011 at 12:11 - Reply

    Hi, Jakob

    I cannot repro this issue.
    Probably you didn’t remove all opalis items from “Add/Remove Program”.

    Anyway, thank your great article. Process Monitor is powerful 🙂

    Thanks,
    Dylan

  2. Jakob Gottlieb Svendsen
    Jakob Gottlieb Svendsen November 15, 2011 at 13:31 - Reply

    sure i did, as i described in the article 😉

    “I renamed the server and uninstalled all Opalis MSI’s.”

    everything was gone from add/remove programs.

    but thnx 🙂

  3. MJ May 2, 2012 at 19:52 - Reply

    Brilliant! Thanks, I had the same problem with Orchestrator RTM I just had to change the process to SetupOrchestrator.exe.

Leave A Comment